Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Speaking Like Our Favorite Books



Have you ever noticed that after you read a certain book, you find the language of that book creeping into your own method of speaking? I've noticed this a lot over the years and some of that language stays with me no matter how long it's been since I've read the book. I find it fascinating.

Some examples:

After reading The Good Earth, I started saying "well and so" all the time, or writing it especially. Have you read this book? Have you noticed how many paragraphs and dialogue bits start with "well and so"? I loved it and it stuck in my head and it's never left!

After reading The Sparrow, I started adding yes after every sentence... well, I mean not every but after many sentences. You may have even noticed this in my writing of blog posts, yes? :) I do it all the time, but I don't remember doing it before that book. There's a character in that book, who sticks a yes after everything he says. Maybe a no sometimes too. It stuck with me!

Remember the "happy-making" and other such "makings" that permeated the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld? I think it drove people all crazy-making after awhile, but it stuck in our speech around here. That one has faded a bit though. But hey, actually, I have proof that my husband was using this term LONG long before the Uglies series! Funny, that. (and where does THAT phrase come from, eh?)

After reading a Victorian era regency type novel I find myself wanting to use terms like... daft and civil and methinks... and "shall we take a turn about the room?" and other such formalities. I love it when this happens and I wish it would stick a bit longer than it does. This one fades after awhile, but always comes back for a moment upon finishing such a book.

I know there's more, many many more, but those are the main examples that come to mind at the moment. What experience have you had were the language or style of a book has crept into your own speaking? I'd love to know!


9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this! After I read the River of Time series I kept saying nay instead of no, and other such 14th century speak! I also have the Victorian speak down really well after reading some such novel. I love it when I do that though, even if had had to explain myself to family and friends on occasion because of it. Now, I usually just get that funny look or eye roll, and they understand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakin: It's awesome, isn't it! I love it!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I don't do this with the way I talk, but I've definitely noticed it in my writing style, especially with certain authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes! I blow through books so fast sometimes that it doesn't effect me, but some books find their way into my speech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think books affect my speech at all. But, sometimes they really stay with me and I think about the overall book or the scenes I really liked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't something I've thought about or noticed, but I'm sure some ways of speaking have crept into my language every now and then :) Great topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After listening to Anne of Green Gables while I ran I started saying "that's what" like Rachel Lynde. I thought that one was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely! I also know that it creeps into my inner dialogue as well -- especially when I'm in the middle of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh yes! I do this! After reading Vampire Academy and The Infernal Devices I was forever saying "Good Lord" at everything and as I just bingewatched Supernatural I have to resist the urge to shout "BALLS" whenever something goes wrong and my mum is about and refrain from calling my sister an "Idjit"

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails