Monday, June 23, 2014

Sharing My Creative Projects: A Blog Hop

Awhile back I was tagged by Belle of Ms Bookish to participate in a creativity blog hop. The idea here is to share a project you are working on and then answer a few questions. You can see Belle's awesome post here and get a glimpse into her writing and creative life. She's very inspiring and I want to be like her when I grow up!

So anyway, for some reason she thought I'd be a good candidate to participate in this hop! I'm not sure why as I'm so very new to the writing thing, and all my all creative endeavors seem to get dropped before they get finished. But I do love to try! Maybe trying is half the battle, I don't know. But creativity is definitely something I'm passionate about, so here's my attempt at sharing my projects with you and answering these few questions.


What am I working on?



I'm currently editing the first very very rough draft of the words I spilled out during my first Nano experience last November. I actually enjoy the process it's just that I'm having a struggle finding TIME!! Anyway, I'm very new at it all but I'm finding that I love printing the chapters out and then marking them up relentlessly with a red pen. It's a visual of progress! So papers like those above are all over the place right now!


Last year, or was it the year before, some quilting blogger buddies got me started on trying a hexagon quilt. This is as far as I've managed. And this is supposed to be just a wall hanging, not even a big quilt! It's something I can do while watching TV so you'd think I could manage it! Anyway, it's a project in progress, and one I hope to finish.



Many summers ago I started this scrap quilt. It's pretty labor intensive, so when other things took over, this one got dropped. I'm hoping that digging it up and sharing it here with you will get me bugged enough to work on it some more.



This is not my image, but this looks very familiar to what I've been working on most recently,and that is making movies/slideshows.  I'm working on a show for my parents' 50th anniversary which includes pictures from their childhoods all through their marriage, our family growing up, to recent days. That's a lot of pictures! And then putting it to music that they've requested. This movie will be premiering at a special dinner held in their honor this Friday.Then, we are off to a reunion and where we'll be showing a movie we made of the events of our past year, my own little family's past year. My daughter has been working on this one, and we are having fun trying to be very creative with videos, pictures and music to showcase all the stuff we've done this year.


How does my work differ from others of its genre?

Perhaps you could say it's all over the place? Maybe I've got my hand in too many creative pots? Yeah, I need to focus, I know, but still... it all needs doing,  you know? I'm being pulled by it all! I could also say that it differs in the fact that I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing and it's all very amateur and newbie and learning and in progress. But that's okay, right?

Why do I write/create what I do?

The answer here is very simple... because it's fun. And because I'd feel so totally frustrated and unfulfilled without some creative project in my life. So I guess I do it to cope and survive but mostly... to have fun. Why do I quilt? It's so rewarding and beautiful, even when I make massive mistakes and mess things up royally. Why do I write? To see what happens. Literally. Because it's all still a mystery to me!

How does my writing/creating process work?

Well, I'm still working on a process, but it seems my method so far is to just jump in with both feet and go for it. Luckily, I'm not much of a perfectionist, so this method seems to work for me. I expect to make a mess of things, to make mistakes and to fail all over the place, but I'm learning stuff and here's hoping I get better and learn a, shall we say, cleaner creative process before it's over!


Next on the list:

I've tagged Ang from Eastern Sunset Reads because I know she is involved in many many creative projects, like a very impressive amount! Including writing! I look forward to her answers to these questions!

And also Jessica from The Bluestocking Society who I also know gets very into being creative. I'm not sure what all her projects are at the moment, so I look forward to getting a peek at them!

Look for their posts next week!



3 comments:

  1. Ugh, there's just never enough time to do all of the things we want to do-it's just not fair, lol.
    Great post today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Suey, you've got a lot of projects on the go! I'm so inspired that you've done so much with your Nanowrimo book already, and you're also working on all these other things. The movie for your parents' anniversary sounds just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are enjoying the editing process, I personally dread seeing that red ink all over my work! Gosh, quilting is such a big undertaking, my mom just started doing it as a business instead of just a hobby and she is loving being able to spend all that time in her sewing room just creating! I hope you are able to find time to get back to it! Boy oh boy, I am going to have to pick and choose my creative projects for next week so I don't overwhelm everyone!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails