Thursday, November 1, 2012

October Reading Recap and RIP VII Wrap Up



Hey everyone! It's been a pretty good reading month! I'm still no where close to being on track for 100 books this year, but hey, there's still time, right? I need some fast, fun, easy books!

October Reads:

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut: A strange story about a guy who survived some perilous events during WWII and how his mind has chosen to cope with it in a very peculiar way.

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle: Robin Hood becomes an outlaw, gathers together his merry men, and has awesome adventures.

Sulan by Camille Picott: Sulan, living in a futuristic society, joins a virtual club to learn how to fight like her mother.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: A young boy Jacob, goes to an island off Wales to investigate the strange stories his grandpa has told him all his life.

Feedback by Robison Wells: Benson escapes the school only to find a village where more kids are being held against their will.

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi:  Aria, from an advanced future society, meets Perry, from a "savage" future society, and now things will never be the same.

The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver: Lincoln wants to kill himself, but first he must solve the strange case of the bone collector!

Dante's Girl by Courtney Cole: Reece bumps into Dante during a flight layover and then suddenly finds herself flying to his country where he is the son of the Prime Minister! No way!

The Twelve by Justin Cronin: Those we met in the first book (The Passage) continue to fight the virals, but now there's a new threat that's even worse.

Favorites of the month would be Under the Never Sky, Robin Hod and perhaps Sulan also. I liked Dante's Girl for its silliness, and The Twelve for its insane-ness. And Feedback was fun too, but didn't wow me. (Reviews to come soon for those without links.)


Also these past two months some of us have been working on reading things for Carl's RIP. Here's what I managed to read for that event:

RIP VII Wrap

In September I read:

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters: an atmospheric slow burn ghost story

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater: psysics and magic combine

In October I read:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs: time travel mixed with a bit of Xmen type kids and WWII.

The Bone Collector by Jeffrey Deaver: graphic murder scenes and smart CSI work

The Twelve by Justin Cronin: this supernatural post apocalyptic world is intensely brutal

I had planned to read UnWholly by Neal Shusterman, but decided to wait on that one and read it after I re-read Unwind for book club in December. Still, I'm anxious for it! But it will be soon. But anyway, I accomplished my four book goal and my group read goal, but I never did watch a spooky movie.... unless you count a few Buffys. I love RIP reading!

Plans for November:

  • read Mrs. Mike for book club
  • read Insurgent finally (started it and I have say, it's not grabbing me)
  • re-read A Tale of Two Cities.. or at least work on it.
  • finish The Worst Hard Times
  • read Not Exactly a Love Story for review
  • read Son by Lois Lowry
  • read some fast fun easy books so I can make my 100 goal! Yeah, we'll see how that goes!

How'd the month turn out for you?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you did a great job for the RIP Challenge. I read The Raven Boys too. I still haven't read The Passage, but I've heard good things about it and The Twelve so I'm looking forward to reading them both soon. Hope you make your 100 book goal :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya: Yes, The Passage is good, pretty epic actually.

      Delete
  2. some great reads there. Son is waiting for us at the Library!! pretty excited to read that one, though I know I will be waiting in line behind Natalya.

    good luck on your goal!

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L: I keep saying I'm going to read it and I keep not reading it! It has to happen!

      Delete
  3. Slaughterhouse Five has been on my TBR pile forever! It was the first one I added on goodreads even. I must get to it, eventually.

    I had a hard time getting into Insurgent too unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ang: I'm very worried about Insurgent. I want to like it.

      Delete
  4. Nice busy month! :) You know, I never do a monthly wrap up. Perhaps I should..if only to see myself what I've been up to!

    I haven't read A Tale of Two Cities in a long long time, I'd love to get back into that tale again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer: I love doing the monthly wrap thing, it makes me feel like perhaps I'm actually getting things read!

      I'm anxious to see how A Tale of Two Cities has held up for me. Wow, did I ever have a crush on Sydney Carton! I wonder if I still will! Hmmm...

      Delete
  5. Well you definitely did better than me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buffy definitely counts!

    You did great on the event this year and I'm so happy you were a part of it. Thank you!!!

    And I see mention of A Tale of Two Cities! My favorite Dickens book. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails