Thursday, January 26, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Book: Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Genre: YA Science Fiction/Dystopian
Rating: ****
For: Fun
From: Amazon

I'd never heard of this book until suddenly, one day, the buzz started flying! And then the next day, I found out the author was coming to the library and bam, before I knew it I had the book and was meeting the author! Wow, it seemed like a really fast ride.

Have you noticed that most fairy tale re-tellings are set in a fantasy type world? This one, a re-telling of Cinderella, is in a dystopian type world with lots of science fiction-y things going on. I loved that unique difference. The other fun thing is that you could recognize the original fairy tale, yet... you couldn't necessary predict what would happen next because it didn't follow the very same line. I really loved that too.

Cinder, who does have a stepmom (well, a guardian) and two step sisters, works as a mechanic and is a cyborg. (Think the Six Million Dollar Man, for those of my era!) She's actually a pretty cool sort of creation, a mixture of human and machine/computer. But cyborgs are the scum of society and very much looked down on.

So one day, in walks the prince of the country, needing help with his broken android. Their eyes meet, and.... she overheats! Well, sort of anyway. But they become friends, and will in fact have several chances to meet again.

Meanwhile, there's a plague and that is a big problem that needs solving which Cinder finds herself right in the middle of. Also, there's political problems with the people of the moon... the Lunars. This is the prince's main issue. Oh, and he has to pick a wife at the upcoming ball, of course.

All in all, a really fun book with much action and a few twists and turns that you may, or may not, see coming. But beware the cliff hanger. Three books are to follow, all based on other fairy tales. They are going to be awesome and I look forward to them.

Bottom line: I really enjoyed it a lot.

Other Reviews:

There's a Book
Book Journey
Janicu's Book Blog
Book Harbinger
... and so so many others. I'm telling you, much buzz.




5 comments:

  1. I'm just glad it wasn't fantasy and that it didn't follow the original tale too closely. I don't think I would have liked it as much if it had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot about this book lately and want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading this in February. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of dystopian literature but I am a huge fan of fairy tales so I'm going to have to give this one a try. Everyone seems to really be enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails