Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Weekly Geeks 2011.24: Back to School


I haven't done a Weekly Geek thing for awhile, so I thought I'd try this one this week. It's a school edition and we are asked these questions:

What's your favorite bookish school memory?

I remember when we read A Tale of Two Cities as a class in 9th grade. I wouldn't have understood a thing without our class discussions, but as it turned, I loved the book! Then we watched the movie (whatever version was on PBS at the time) and I had a major character crush for sure! The same thing happened in 10th grade with The Scarlet Letter! 

I remember reading Great Expectations in 8th grade for on my own reading, and not understanding a word, but getting through the whole book, 10 min at a time, every day in English. 

I remember buying Newbery award winners at the school book fair. 

Did your teacher read aloud to you? Do you remember what book it was?

I specifically remember my 3rd grade teacher doing this and my 6th grade teacher also. I really disliked my 6th grade teacher, and he had a terrible reading voice, so this does not bring back fond memories. But my third grade teacher was awesome and we were enthralled with the books she read... but you know, I can't remember what they were!

Do you remember what books you checked out at the school library?

I remember checking out tons of Nancy Drew. One after the other after the other. And all sorts of Beverly Cleary books too. I didn't use the libraries in my jr. high and high school. Sad.

What was one of the first book reports you did for school?

It's bugging me that I can't remember what reports I did! I know I did a ton of them! 

Do you have a favorite book or author that you first heard about from a teacher or school project?

I discovered Thomas Hardy in high school. I had never heard of him before, but I loved his stuff. I know his books are depressing, but I loved them anyway.

Then there was Shakespeare of course, which I loved learning about and discussing as a class. 

What are some of your bookish school memories?




4 comments:

  1. I don't remember book report stuff either, but I remember all those dreadful papers we had to write. I remember hating Black Boy and lying about having read the last 200 pages of Anna Karenina. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! That was fun to read. I love reading about peoples' book memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun topic! I think my most memorable bookish school moment was when my 3rd grade teacher was reading us THE BEST CHRISTMAS PAGEANT EVER. She was this stern, no-nonsense woman who scared the crap out of us kids - when the book made her laugh so hard she had to have someone else read it for her, I realized that my teacher really was human after all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails