Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Social Issues


Today over at The Broke and the Bookish we are listing books that highlight tough issues. Wow, there's a TON that fit this category! Here the first ten that popped into my mind:

1. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (rape)
2. This Is What I Did: by Ann Dee Ellis (witnessing a crime)
3. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khalid Hosseini (conditions in Afghanistan)
4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (racial issues)
5. No Going Back by Jonathan Langford (on being gay)
6. The Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (depression, among other things)
7. any Jodi Picoult book... you choose!
8. North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley (self esteem, abuse)
9. Room by Emma Donoghue (rape, abuse, depression)
10. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher (teen suicide) I really need to read this one!

It that list could go on and on and on and I'm sure I've forgotten some really very obvious ones. Feel free to point them out!


13 comments:

  1. I almost put Room on my list - great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. I've read a couple books on your list but I can't bring myself to read A Thousand Splendid Suns. I had such a hard time (emotionally) reading The Kite Runner I'm scared to read his second novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. I've read Speak and most of the others on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You listed some great books! I think The Help is an especially good choice, and one that I would not have thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any Jodi P, lol, true :-)

    My Top Ten

    http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-books-that-tackle-tough-issues.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even attempt this list today. I had to laugh at your Picoult mention, though. The only one I read (Second Glance) didn't seem to have some issue to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stopping by to read your top ten book list. speak and Room has made a few bloggers list.
    http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read Room but a friends that have read it said it is really sad. MyTeaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe I forgot Jodi Picoult entirely when I made my list? Where was my head?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! We included Speak, The Help, and Story of a Girl on our list.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a couple similar books on our list! :) I thought about A Thousand Splendid Suns but didn't end up including it.. lol.. "any Jodi Picoult book" is pretty accurate! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually just started The Help yesterday. I was waiting for the hype to die down a bit, but now they are making a movie and I want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You listed some very tough reads. A few of those are on my tbr list...

    Here is my Top Ten post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails