Monday, July 11, 2011

Review: The Last Chance Texaco by Brent Hartinger

Book: The Last Chance Texaco by Brent Hartinger
Genre: YA
Rating: B
For: Fun
From: the library book sale

This was the second book I read while on vacation. It looked small and easy, which it was, but the subject matter was not very light. It's about one of those kids who go from foster home to foster home and finally she ends up at a group house which at first she is upset about, but soon realizes it's a perfect place. In fact it's the first place she's liked and belonged too.

But then some stuff happens that puts this home in jeopardy and they might lose their funding and be disbanded. So Lucy, along with a new (unlikely) guy friend, tries to solve the mystery and save the house.

All in all, it was a heartwarming story, but I must say, it just didn't grab me. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for something like this while sailing the Caribbean, you know? So I hate to be too harsh on it, but I wasn't convinced about the characters... for instance Lucy went from ornery group home girl, to sweet "I love everyone" girl. The dude went from being awful to being cute way too fast. And the problem, which was a pretty big one, was solved way too easily.

So once again, I say, it was alright, but won't go down as my most favorite book of the month.

Other Reviews:

Books Are King
...and I can't seem to find any other reviews at the moment. Weird.


1 comment:

  1. While it sounds like a good premise, I don't know that I will pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails