Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Review: The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Book: The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
Genre: Literary Fiction/Fantasy-ish
Rating: A
For: Fun
From: Bought at Amazon

I was warned that this one might be a little weird, and yes, it is. But it's oh so good too.

I could tell it was going to be different when it started out with a very graphic description of a car accident, followed by a very graphic description of the guy in the car burning nearly to death. Wow, it was disturbing. But you know how you just can't look away? That's how it was!

So this guy, our main character who oddly is never named (right? If he was, I don't remember catching it!) ends up spending months in the hospital recovering and going through terrible burn trauma. More disturbing images. Then, this stranger shows up at his bedside, and they become friends. In fact, her presence there really helps him to get well and keeps him from suicidal thoughts.

This girl is full of some really fascinating stories. First, she claims to have known this guy before, WAY in the past, and so she tells him, segment by segment, their story. Secondly, she tells four separate heart wrenching love stories to prove her point about how love conquers all, or something. At first the guy rolls his eyes at these stories, but then he is completely drawn in.

Which brings us to the guy himself. He is one arrogant self-loving, amoral dude before this accident. Of course, the book is about how he changes, with the help of this girl, and has a completely different outlook on things by the end.

I loved the flashback stories to the medieval past. The other stories at first seemed a little jarring, like stories within stories sometimes are, but it only took a paragraph or two to be fully engaged in those also.

This book truly had it all. There was a strong historical aspect. The stories had a very mythical feel. There was much religious discussion. The graphic-ness even gave it a horror novel feel to it at some points. Of course, it's at heart a love story. There's a lot of references to Dante's Inferno, and quite a paranormal feel to it all too. Oh, and lots of artsy stuff going on too! Seriously, it covers everything. I loved looking at the notes at the end of the book to see all the various books this author got his info from! What a range of topics! Crazy.

But be warned, this is no gentle book. Very gritty. Very very. And the end, ah, I just don't know if I appreciated the ending much. Those that have read it, what'd you think about the ending?

Bottom line: I totally enjoyed it, was swept up and immersed!

Other Reviews:

The Literary Omnivore
Estella's Revenge
An Adventure in Reading
Both Eyes Book Blog
... and pretty much every other book blog out there! Let's just say I'm late to the party on this one!





8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book, too, and you are right, it is a bit weird! That's why I liked it, though. It was different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite books of all time. It was a really intense, emotional read. I was satisfied with the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I loved this book. I can't remember the ending (a chronic problem I have) but I wrote in my review it was very satisfying?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not the last to read it, I actually considered starting it last week but the history part makes me reconsider.

    Everyone that reads it seems to love it and i'm intrigued and excited on all the other dynamics.

    I need to just give it a try.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana: Agreed!

    Anne: Glad you liked the ending!

    Raidergirl: I tend to forget endings too, if it's been too long since reading. Yep.

    Marce: The history part is not very heavy, it just gives you a feel for this particular medieval time period. So don't let that make you hesitate by any means!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had s hard time recommending this one because I loved it, even the end, but it was so graphic I knew a lot of people would be offended. I'm glad you liked it as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those opening pages really are something and I really liked the stories from the past. But I just could never get over the fact that Davidson kept feeling the need to point out that the author had been emasculated and I really didn't like the last 75 pages or so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are definitely not the last one on this one! I still have not yet read it, but I do have it on my shelf! Can't wait to read it and see what I think!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails